(Steve Asmussen has trained Reride for the Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC / Photo Courtesy of Keeneland)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Uncapped, a 3YO colt by First Samurai and trained by Brendan Walsh, blew out this morning at the Fair Grounds for his anticipated run in an allowance in New Orleans on Feb. 10. This one — who broke the maiden impressively at Churchill Downs in November and returned to run 7th in the Sugar Bowl Stakes at FG in December — went 3 furlongs in :37 flat. That was 2nd of 8 to go the distance. He will be going 5.5 furlongs on the turf on Sunday and will face a few good ones — like Tobacco Road, who is dropping down to $50,000 claiming. Look for that guy to get claimed. After all, he is a Stakes winner.
- Cornacchia, a 3YO Tapit colt trained by Brad Cox for Gainesway Farm, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds, as well. This one — who broke the maiden on debut on Dec. 22 here — went a nice half mile in :48.20. That was the 4th best time out of 32 to make the distance. Look for this one to improve off the 4th place finish in the allowance last time out. Had some issues in that one, went off a step slow and then carried wide into both turns. I expect him to pop next time out.
- America’s Tale, who had her three-race win streak snapped last time out in the Marie G. Krantz Memorial Stakes at the Fair Grounds on Jan. 19, worked this morning in New Orleans. The 4YO daughter of Gio Ponti went 5 furlongs in 1:01 flat. That was the 3rd best time out of 19. Speedster should be just fine when she gets back on the dirt.
- Timber Ghost, a 4YO Ghostzapper colt trained by James Jerkens for Stronach Stables, is one to keep an eye out for in the near future. Trained this morning at the Palm Meadows Training Center and was light’s out. Went a half in :47.60 from the gate, and that was the bullet move out of 32 to go the distance. This one looks primed and ready. In 5 career starts to date, has 2 wins and a second. Headed to Stakes company soon, it appears.
- Reride, a 4YO son of Candy Ride and out of the Tapit mare Remit, worked at Tampa Bay Downs this morning. This one looked like he had a super bright future this time a year ago, when he won the Mine That Bird Stakes and then headed off to Dubai for the UAE Derby and a showdown with Mendelssohn. Has not been the same since. Ran 5th in the Woodchopper Stakes at the Fair Grounds in the last start on Dec. 29. went a half mile today in :49.60. Here’s hoping this good-looking colt rediscovers his mojo soon.
- Seek N Justice, our very own 3YO son of Caleb’s Posse, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds. Got his first race under his belt and now is looking for another shot at redemption soon. He went a half mile in :49.80, which was the 21st best time out of the 32 to go the distance. Looking for more, if he can run back on Feb. 15. Keep you posted.