(Trainer John Sadler / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Ghostlighter, a 3YO son of Ghostzapper and trained by Brendan Walsh for the Godolphin Stables, broke the maiden last time out at the Fair Grounds on Nov. 28. Made a nice late bid to win by a 1/2-length at the 11/16-mile distance on the dirt. The homebred was back in training today in New Orleans. Breezed a half in :48.20. That was the 5th best time out of 33. It was the 4th published move since the win and the best time since breaking the maiden. Might be interesting to keep an eye on this one. The dam is Skylighter — who is a multiple Graded Stakes winner — including the G2 Allaire DuPont Distaff at Pimlico and the G2 Indiana Oaks.
- Peace Broker, a 3YO daughter of War Front and trained by W. Bret Calhoun for a top partnership that includes CJ Thoroughbreds, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds. This one — who cost $290,000 to purchase at the 2019 KEE September Yearling Sale — has raced three times to date. Has a second; a third and a fourth. Went 5 furlongs today in 1:01.80 — which was the 7th best time out of 21 to clock the distance. This one looks about ready to pop. Talent is there.
- Ajaaweed, a multiple Graded Stakes placed son of Curlin and formerly trained by Kiaran McLaughlin, worked this morning at the South Florida training center known as Palm Beach Downs. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.19. That was the bullet move out of 2 to go the distance. In 5 career starts, this one has a win, a second and a third. Has not raced since finishing 3rd in the G3 Sam F. Davis Stakes at Tampa Bay on Feb. 8, 2020. Lost that day to the likes of Sole Volante and Independence Hall. Has been off since, but got his 5th published work since mid-December today. Looks about ready soon.
- Abscond, a very nice 4YO filly by Blame and trained by Eddie Kenneally, worked this morning at the Palm Meadows Training Track in South Florida. This gal — who has 2 wins, 3 seconds and a third in 7 lifetime tries and has earned over $228,000 in the career — went 3 furlongs in an easy .37.90. It was her first work back after the last race in May of 2020 at Churchill Downs. She ran 2nd to Sharing in the Tepin Stakes on May 23. Be nice to see this one back at the ole’ ball yard.
- Combatant, a 7YO son of Scat Daddy and a Graded Stakes winner for trainer John Sadler, worked at Santa Anita this morning. The “old man” went 5 furlongs in 1:01.60. That was the 14th best time out of 47 to clock the distance. Combatant has not raced since finishing 3rd in the G3 Native Diver Stakes at Del Mar in November. Last win came in the G1 Santa Anita Handicap on March 7 of last year. This ridgling looks to be cranking it up for some more action soon. Stay tuned.