(Bob Baffert trains Roadster / Photo by Gene McLean)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Roadster, a talented 3YO son of Quality Road and trained by Bob Baffert, returned to the races on March 1 with aplomb. Ran off to an impressive win under the tutelage of HOF rider Mike Smith, who immediately announced that the colt was back on the road to this year’s KY Derby. The colt worked 5 furlongs at the new and improved Santa Anita this morning, going the distance in 1:02.60. That was the 11th best time out of 30 to go the distance. Will be interesting to see where this one shows up next. But it will be a key event, for sure.
- Dream Tree, once a prime candidate for the KY Oaks a year ago and a 4YO daughter of Uncle Mo, worked this morning at Santa Anita, as well. She went 5 furlongs in 1:02.40. That was the 7th best time out of 30. She has not run since finishing 5th in the G1 La Brea Stakes at Santa Anita on Dec. 26. That was her first loss in 6 career starts and only her second start since February of 2018. Be interesting to see where this one returns.
- Chaos Theroy, a 3YO Curlin gelding trained by Brendan Walsh, trained at the Fair Grounds this morning. In two starts this year, this one is undefeated in two starts and is coming off a win in the Colonel Power Stakes on Feb. 16. He breezed 5 furlongs today in 1:01.40. That was the 12th fastest time out of 22 to go the distance.
- Chocolate Martini, a 4YO daughter of Broken Vow and winner of the 2018 Fair Grounds Oaks for trainer Tom Amoss, worked 5 furlongs in 1:01.60. That was 14th of 21 on the time scale. Looking forward to this one racing again, after the win in New Orleans on Feb. 24.
- My Miss Lilly, 4YO daughter of Tapit and trained by Mark Hennig, worked at Gulfstream Park this morning. Went a brisk half mile in :47.03. That was the bullet time out of 26 to go the distance. She ran third in an allowance event at Gulfstream Park on Feb. 15. Look for more next time out.
- Rocketry, a 5YO son of Hard Spun, has not raced since winning the G2 Marathon Stakes at Churchill Downs during the Breeders’ Cup celebration, worked this morning at the Palm Meadows Training Center. He went 6 furlongs for trainer James Jerkens in a time of 1:15 flat. He was the only horse to go that far.