(Forbidden Kingdom / Benoit Photo & Courtesy of Santa Anita)
We are back looking at the daily workout schedule from around the country. Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Main Event, a 3YO son of Bernardini and trained by George Weaver, worked at the Palm Beach Downs training site in South Florida this morn. The colt, who broke his maiden just two starts ago, nearly won the Palm Beach Stakes at Gulfstream Park last time out. Ran 2nd by just a skinny neck to Coinage, a well-considered colt in his own right. Went 4 furlongs this morning in :50.30 over the turf course at the training ground. That was the bullet move out of just 2 that went that distance. Keep tabs here.
- A Mo Reay, a 3YO filly by Uncle Mo and trained by Todd Pletcher for the MyRacehorse Stables and Spendthrift Farm, worked this morning at Palm Beach, as well. This gal — who has a 1-1-2 record in the first 4 starts — could really develop into a good one. Recently had throat surgery, according to a source, and that could move this one way up. And, she doesn’t need a whole lot of help. Ran 3rd to Echo Zulu in the G1 Frizette Stakes in just her 2nd career start last year. Has not been out since December. But she got her 7th published work since then this morn. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.79. That was the 3rd best time out of 6 to go that distance. Look for this one back very soon.
- Grand Sonata, a 3YO son of Medaglia d’oro and another trained by Team Pletcher, worked at Palm Beach. Went 5 furlongs over he dirt training track in 1:01.23. That was the bullet move out of the 6. In 5 career starts, this one has 3 wins and a 2nd. Don’t think Derby with this one, though. He is a grass specialist. And, a good one. Won the Dania Beach Stakes at Gulfstream on New Year’s Day and followed that with a win in the G3 Kitten’s Joy Stakes over the same sod in February. Next?
- Nest, a 3YO daughter of Curlin and maybe a top KY Oaks contender for Pletcher, worked at Palm Beach today, as well. This Graded Stakes winner — who opened the 2022 campaign with a win in the Suncoast Stakes at Tampa Bay on Feb. 12 — went 5 furlongs in 1:01.79. That was the 3rd best time. Look for this one to be put to the test soon. After all, she won the Suncoast by over 6 lengths. Worth taking a shot.
- Forbidden Kingdom, currently ranked #1 in “The Pressbox’s Kentucky Derby Rankings” and trained by HOFer Richard Mandella, worked this morning at Santa Anita. The 3YO son of American Pharoah worked 6 furlongs in 1:14 flat. That was the 2nd best time out of 2 to go the distance. The other horse to go that far was a 4YO and went just a tick faster. Today was good news for “FK” fans. The colt was forced to skip his regular work last week due to a slight fever. He worked last on March 2. Went just 3 furlongs then in a scheduled blowout before the March 5 G2 San Felipe Stakes — which he won. Today, he was carried out to 6 furlongs. Colt has now won 3 of 5 lifetime and the last 2. The big redhead is fast and furious and looks to be getting better and better. More to come here.