(Mylady Curlin / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Arklow, a 5YO son of Arch and trained by Brad Cox, is coming off an 8th place finish in the Breeders’ Cup Turf at Santa Anita on Nov. 2. Before that, though, this steady dandy won the G1 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic at Belmont Park on Oct. 5. Be interesting to see where he will spend much of the winter, but for now he is still at Cox’s home base at Churchill Downs. Worked this morning under the Twin Spires. Went a half mile in :50.60. It was the horse’s first published move since running in the Breeders’ Cup Turf. May be headed to New Orleans soon.
- Mr. Misunderstood, another grass specialist from the barn of Brad Cox, worked at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. The 5YO son of Archarcharch went 4 furlongs over the main dirt track in :49 flat. That was the 9th best time out of 24 to go the distance. It was this guy’s first published work since he won the G3 River City Handicap at Churchill Downs on Nov. 16. He may be bunking with Arklow on the trip to New Orleans, too.
- Mylady Curlin, impressive winner of the G2 Falls City Handicap at Churchill Downs on Nov. 28 and a 4YO daughter of Curlin, worked over the Churchill Downs surface today, as well. She went an easy half mile in :50.80 — which was the 23rd best time out of the 24. Over the last 10 races, this talented filly has finished no worse than 3rd. Has 6 wins in that mix. And, she is now a multiple Graded Stakes winner. Very good right now, too. Watch for her return. Special.
- Shared Sense, a 2YO home bred for the Godolphin Stables, worked this morning at Churchill Downs, too. The son of Street Sense went a half mile in :50.60 for Cox’s team, and that was the 19th best time out of the 24. This one has run 3 times so far. Has back-to-back seconds on the slate. Last time out, on Nov. 30, this one lost to Blackberry Wine. Look for this one to be awfully tough when he makes his next start. Looks to want two turns and looks to be able to run all day.
- Excession, a 2YO son of Union Rags and trained by Steve Asmussen for Calumet Farm, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans. Went a half mile in :50.20, which was the bullet move out of the first 2 to go the distance. The colt — who Calumet Farm purchased for $150,000 at the 2018 KEE September Yearling Sale — is entered to run in New Orleans on Saturday. Broke his maiden last time out and will face winners in an allowance event. Bears watching.
- Mucho Gusto, a 3YO son of Mucho Macho Man and trained by Bob Baffert, worked at Santa Anita this morning. The colt — who last ran 4th in the G3 Oklahoma Derby and was 3rd in the G1 Travers Stakes before that — went 5 furlongs in a brisk 1:00.20. That was the 2nd best time out of the 47. Don’t know what’s next for this one. May be the G1 Malibu. But looks like he is getting cranked up for something good and big.