(Maximum Security / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Maximum Security, the 3YO Champion colt from a year ago and now a 4YO son of New Year’s Day, worked this morning at the Palm Meadows Training Center for the barn of Jason Servis. The colt — who has won 3 in a row and now is being pointed to the big race in Saudi Arabia — went 4 furlongs in a deliberate :54 flat. That was the 32nd best time out of 32 to go that far. It is not uncommon for this barn to work them extremely slow. Such was the case today. In 9 career starts, this one has 7 wins and 1 second. The only “off the board” performance came in the 2019 Kentucky Derby, when this one was DQ’d for interference. Be interesting to see this one as a 4YO. How good will he be? Will he finally face the best horses of his own generation?
- Turtle Trax, a 3YO daughter of Cairo Prince and trained by Ian Wilkes, worked this morning at the Palm Meadows Training Center, as well. This one is coming off a 2nd place finish in the Suncoast Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs on Feb. 8. Ran 5 lengths behind the impressive winner — Lucrezia. Went a mile & 40 yards over the dirt that day. Look for this one to continue to make strides towards the KY Oaks. Be interesting to see if & how she makes it. Under expert tutor.
- Vitalogy, a 3YO son of No Nay Never and trained by Brendan Walsh, has not run since he was 2nd in the G3 Dixiana Bourbon Stakes at KEE last October. But he got his 4th published workout this morning since he returned to serious training on Jan. 18. Went 5 furlongs today in 1:01.75. That was over the dirt track, too, and was the 4th best time out of 9 to go the distance. Keep an eye on this guy. Super talented turf runner.
- Antoinette, a 3YO Hard Spun filly trained by Bill Mott, worked at Payson Park in South Florida this morning. She went 3 furlongs over the dirt track in :37 flat. That was the bullet move out of 5 to go the distance. In the last race outing, Antoinette won the Tepin Stakes at Aqueduct on Dec. 5. It was her 2nd straight win. Look for more out of this one. A lot more.
- Buyer’s Remorse, a 3YO Florida-bred daughter of Liam’s Map and trained by Doug O’Neill, is still a maiden. But has run two straight Stakes events, including a 5th in the G1 Chandelier Stakes at Santa Anita last September. Not unusual for this barn operator. But a filly definitely worthy of watching. She got her first published work since returning to serious training. She went 3 furlongs today in :39.60. That was the 2nd best time out of 3. Look for more out of this filly, who sold for $200,000 at the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Sale in 2018.