(Engage / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
(Finite / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Beautiful Trauma, a 3YO daughter of Tapiture and trained by Tom Amoss, may be a filly that you want to keep an eye out for and on. This gal has raced just 5 times to date, but has 2 wins and a second. Has not run since December at the Fair Grounds. But she got her second published work today at Churchill Downs since being returned to serious training on July 21. Went a nice half mile in :47.80. That was the 3rd best time out of 46 to clock the distance. If she stays healthy and continues to amp up? Watch out here.
- Engage, a multiple Graded Stakes winner for trainer Steve Asmussen and Woodford Racing, is back on the track these days. When last seen, he was 4th in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint to the amazing Mitole — only losing by about 31/2 lengths. Before that, though, Engage won the G2 Phoenix Stakes at KEE and the Bensalem Stakes at Parx. He got his third published work this morning at Churchill Downs, since he was sent back to resume serious training on July 16. Went a half mile today in :51.80 — which was the 41st best time out of the 46. The 5YO son of Into Mischief is still aways away, but it will be fun tracking this talent.
- Finite, one of the best 3YO fillies in the world earlier this year before she went to the sidelines after running 4th in the G2 Fair Grounds Oaks in March, is back clicking along again. The daughter of Munnings got her 5th published work since July 3 this morning. She went 5 furlongs in 1:01.40. That was the 5th best time out of 14 to clock the distance. In 8 career starts to date, Finite has a 5-2-0 record and has earned over $654,000 in use earnings for the Winchell Thoroughbred group. Before the FG Oaks, she had won 5 in a row — including the G2 Rachel Alexandra Stakes. Bears watching for the return. Class act.
- Glory Road, a 3YO son of Commissioner and trained by Todd Pletcher, has not run since breaking his maiden at first ask last August at Saratoga. Don’t know what sent this guy to the sidelines for so long, but he is back in training now and got his 5th published work since June 27 this morning at Churchill Downs. Went 5 furlongs in 1:02.20. That was 9th best of 14 to go that far. Just six days ago, he went a half mile in :48.20. That was 9th best of 73. Getting close. Look out. I’ll be watching for this one’s return.
- Mohemian Rhapsody, a 3YO daughter of Uncle Mo and trained by Team Baffert, may be one to put in your Stable Mail. This gal won on debut at Los Alamitos on July 4, kicking home a 1/2-length winner at odds-on favoritism. Covered the 6 furlongs that day in a final time of 1:10.59. Connections paid $310,000 for her at the 2018 KEE September Yearling Sale. Back in action this morning at Del Mar. Went 6 furlongs in 1:12.20. That was the only time recorded at the distance. Been training super. Look out here.