(Trainer Steve Asmussen conditions New York Central, who worked on Monday at Churchill Downs / Photo Courtesy of Keeneland)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Snapper Sinclair, a 4YO son of City Zip who looked like he was cut out to be a real good one when he ran 3rd in the 2018 LeComte Stakes and 2nd in the G2 Risen Star Stakes at the Fair Grounds, has only 3 top 3 finishes in the last 9 starts for trainer Steve Asmussen. Ran 10th in the Oaklawn Mile Stakes on May 3 in his last outing. Worked 3 furlongs this morning at Churchill Downs, going the distance in :38.60. That was the 6th best time out of 6 to go the distance, and it was his 5th published work since the last race. Don’t know what is up with this guy. But a drop into the allowance ranks may be in order for a brain reboot.
- New York Central, a 4YO Tapit colt trained by Asmussen for the ownership team of WinStar Farm and the China Horse Club, is coming off an impressive win in the G3 Maryland Sprint Stakes at Pimlico on May 18. In 3 starts this year, he has 2 wins. Worked this morning at Churchill Downs, going 5 furlongs in 1:01.60. That was the bullet move out of 4 to go that far. Looks good right now. May be worth a short next time out, too.
On Monday, June 17:
- Talk Veuve to Me, a very talented 4YO filly by Violence and trained by Rodolphe Brisset, worked at Keeneland on Monday. She went a half mile in an easy :49 flat, which was the 4th best time out of 10 to clock that distance. In 9 career starts to date, she has a 3-3-0 record and earned over $400,000 in purse money. She has a win in the G3 Indiana Oaks and seconds in both the G1 Acorn Stakes and the G2 Eight Belles Stakes. Ran a disappointing 7th in the G1 Humana Distaff at Churchill Downs on May 4. But may toss that effort. Worst of her career.
- Comical Ghost, a 3YO son of Ghostzapper and trained by Bob Baffert for Godolphin Stables, is a perfect 1-for-1 after winning the debut race at Santa Anita on June 1. Easily won that 6-furlong sprint event by over 21/4-lengths as the odds-on favorite. This one came back to work a bullet on Monday, going a half mile in a brilliant :47.60 — which was the best of 40 to clock that distance. Don’t know, yet, the plans for this one. But with this 3YO crop? He could be a huge presence later this summer. Keep watch.
- Catapult, a 6YO son of Kitten’s Joy and trained by John Sadler, is coming off a 5th in the G1 Shoemaker Mile at Santa Anita in the last start on May 27. Before that, though, was second in the G1 Frank E. Kilroe Mile Stakes. Last win came in the G2 Del Mar Mile down the coast last August. Worked 5 furlongs on Monday at Santa Anita, going the distance in 1:01.40. That was 6th best of 27 to go the distance. Catapult has won over $1.538 million in the career. And, looks like he may have saved his best for the upcoming meet down South. Runs for Woodford Racing. Nice team this owner/trainer has developed into.