(Into Mystic / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
(Nearly?) Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Slam Dunk, a 4YO Into Mischief filly trained by Shug McGaughey for the ownership team of Magic Cap Stables, worked this morning at Belmont Park. The filly, who is Graded Stakes placed and a winner of 2 races in 9 starts, went 4 furlongs over the dirt main track in a maintenance-move time of :49.84. That was the 5th best time out of 7 to clock the distance. Just two starts ago, this one ran 4th in the G3 Hurricane Bertie Stakes at Gulfstream Park to Pacific Gale. As a 2YO in 2019, she ran 3rd in the G1 Frizette Stakes at Belmont, too. Worth watching on the go-forward.
- Go Big Green, a 3YO Ghostzapper filly trained by Tom Amoss, may be one to watch on the go-forward. If she were ever dropped into the claiming ranks, there may be significant interest to follow. This one was purchased at the 2019 KEE September Yearling Sale for a modest $150,000. In 8 career starts to date, she has 1 win, 1 second and 4 thirds. Has earned about $56,000. But? The first two dams of this one were non-winners, but the third dam is Rougeur — who was multiple Graded Stakes Placed. Last time out, Go Big Green ran 4th at Churchill Downs in an allowance. Before that, she was 3rd in an optional-claimer. Worked today, going 4 furlongs over the turf in :48.20. That was the best time and the only time at the distance. Stay tuned.
- Red Run, a 2YO son of Gun Runner and his daddy’s first winner, was back on the track at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. This big chestnut went an easy half-mile in :51.80. That was the 20th best time out of 22 to go that far. Won the debut race at Churchill Downs on May 9. Came from off the pace to win going-away and by 13/4 lengths. Look for big things out of this home-bred colt for the Winchell Thoroughbreds. Big. Things.
- Unnamed…seriously, this 2YO colt is still unnamed. But you should pay attention to when it is named and when it may run. This 3YO colt is by Frankel and out of the Tapit mare Untapable. Remember her? She won 9 times out of 20 races and was a multiple Graded Stakes winner for the Winchell Thoroughbreds. Earned nearly $4 million at the track. This colt is surely still owned by the breeders. Got his 9th published work today at Churchill Downs. Went 5 furlongs in 1:00.20. That was the bullet move out of 4 to go the distance. Look for this one soon, right? Let’s hope so.
- Into Mystic, a 5YO Into Mischief mare trained by Brendan Walsh, is fresh off her impressive win in the Unbridled Sydney Stakes at Churchill Downs on April 29 — Kentucky Oaks Day. She worked at Keeneland this morning, clocking an easy 4 furlongs in :50.40. That was the 16th best time out of 22 to go that far. It was her first serious move since the win. In 19 tries now, this mare has 6 wins, 5 seconds and 3 thirds. Earnings are now approaching $500,000. Class act.
- Fauci, the 3YO son of Malibu Moon and named after the famed CDC doctor, worked this morning at Monmouth Park in NJ. Coming off a 2nd in the Palisades Turf Sprint at Keeneland in the last outing on April 2, this one got a 3 furlong exercise over the main dirt track. Went the distance in :40 flat. That was 6th best of 6. The colt has won only one of 5 races, but does have 4 seconds on the resume. Interesting.
- Astute, a 3YO filly by Speightstown and trained by Richard Mandella, worked at Santa Anita on Monday. The Multiple Stakes winner — who captured the Angels Flight Stakes at “The Great Race Place” in the last start on May 1 — has 3 wins in the first 4 starts. Only loss came in the G1 Starlet Stakes at Los Alamitos on Dec. 5. Ran behind two Baffert horses that day. Look for more out of this one. She breezed 4 furlongs in :47.40 on Monday. That was the 3rd best time out of 48 to go the distance. Hmmm.