(By My Standards / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Ain’t No Elmers, a 3YO Goldencents filly trained by W. Bret Calhoun, worked at Churchill Downs this morning. The filly — who won her first two career starts at the Fair Grounds this Winter — went an easy 4 furlongs in :50.40. That was 31st best out of 36 to go that distance. Be interesting to see where the connections go next with this one. Stay tuned.
- Attachment Rate, a 3YO son of Hard Spun and entered to run this coming Saturday in the G3 Matt Winn Stakes at Churchill Downs, blew out in anticipation of the Stakes event coming for trainer Dale Romans. This one has only one win on the resume so far, but do not be fooled. Far more accomplished than the record shows. Ran 3rd to Mischevious Alex in the G3 Gotham Stakes and returned to post a hard-fought 2nd to the highly-regarded Dr Post in the Unbridled Stakes last time out. Tuned up for Saturday today with a half-mile breeze in :51.20. That was 33rd best out of the 36. This one may be sitting on go for this weekend.
- By My Standards, a 4YO son of Goldencents and another trained by Calhoun, breezed a half mile today under the Twin Spires. Pure maintenance move in a simple :50.20. That was 29th best. We have written and said it all year. This one has the makings of the next Gun Runner. Three starts this year. Three wins. Impressive in the G2 Oaklawn Handicap last time out, in cruise control. This guy has all the makings of the next big horse. We are on board. Are you?
- No Parole, a 3YO son of Violence and one of the best Louisiana-breds to ever come along, breezed at Churchill Downs for trainer Tom Amoss this morning. The beautiful bay colt — who has speed to spare and run to burn — went 4 furlongs in :49.20. That was 16th best of the 36. In 5 career starts, he has 4 wins. Only loss came on the stretch out in a division of the G2 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park. May develop into one of the best Sprinters of the year. We shall see.
- Serengeti Empress, 2019 winner of the Kentucky Oaks, trained at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. The 4YO daughter of Alternation went a brisk half mile in :48.20. Then again, everything this gal does is brisk. That was the 8th best time out of the 36. Ran 11th in the G1 Apple Blossom Handicap last time out when she was throttled back and didn’t make the early lead. Time before? Made the lead. Won the G2 Azeri Stakes. Simple truth? Needs the lead. Wants the lead.
- Long Weekend, another talented runner in the barn of trainer Tom Amoss, breezed this morning, too. Went 5 furlongs in 1:02 flat. That was the 10th best time out of 16 to clock this distance. In 5 career starts, Long Weekend — a 3YO son of Majesticperfection — has 4 wins and is a perfect 3-for-3 this year. His win last time out in the Bachelor Stakes at Oaklawn Park was a masterpiece and gut check. Beat Echo Town by a head going 6 furlongs over the dirt. Look out. Could be a really good one.