(Mother Mother winning the Rags to Riches Stakes at Churchill Downs / Photo Courtesy of Churchill Downs)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Turtle Trax, a 2YO daughter of Cairo Prince and trained by Ian Wilkes, is impressing right off the bat. After a 5th place finish in the career debut on Sept. 19, this gal has come back to win two in a row, and now appears ready to tackle the Stakes ranks soon. This morning, the homebred filly of Gov. Brereton C. Jones worked 4 furlongs in :50 flat — which was the 15th best time out of 28 to go the distance. Look for this one to pop again soon.
- Aurelius Maximus, a 3YO son of Pioneerof the Nile and trained by Chad Brown, recently got his first start of 2019 and his first start since he was 4th in the G1 Champagne at Belmont Park in October of 2018. In the 2019 debut, this one was 4th in an allowance at Aqueduct on Nov. 10. Was beaten 71/2 lengths that day after being bumped at the start and starting at the absolute back of the pack in the 1-mile dirt race. Worked this morning at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans. Went a half mile in :51.40. That was 15th best of 21 to go the distance. Be interesting to watch how this one comes back in the second start off the long layoff.
- Bluegrass Sky, a California-bred daughter of Bluegrass Cat and formerly trained by my great friend Stephen Lyster, has been transferred to California now. The 2YO gal ran once under Lyster’s care, finishing 2nd at Indy Grand in September. She was on the track at Santa Anita this morning. It was her third published work since transferring to the West Coast, and she breezed a half mile in :49.40. That was the 12th best time out of 23 to go the distance. Headed for some Cal-bred only races, I am sure.
- Mother Mother, a royally-bred daughter of Pioneerof the Nile and trained by Bob Baffert, worked at Santa Anita this morning, as well. This 3YO gal has not run since finishing 6th in the G2 Eight Belles Stakes at Churchill Downs on the KY Oaks undercard. Got her 7th published work since returning to serious training on Oct. 1. Went 5 furlongs today in 1:00.60. That was the bullet move out of the first 10 to clock the distance. Looks like she is about ready for the return to afternoon action.
- High Velocity, a 2YO colt by Quality Road and also trained by Team Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita, as well. This guy is a perfect 2-for-2 to start the career and may be on this way to becoming the next great thing for this outstanding operation. Last time out, High Velocity won the G1 Bob Hope Stakes by over a length and he led the 7-furlong contest from gate to wire. This one is owned by the lawsuit-happy duo of Gary and Mary West — who also own Maximum Security. Interesting.