(Overbore / Photo Courtesy of NYRA)
We are back looking at the daily workout schedule from around the country. Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Boldor, a 5YO gelded son of Munnings and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked at Belmont Park this morning. This multiple Stakes winner — who captured the Punch Line Stakes at Colonial Downs last time out — went 3 furlongs in :38.40 for an easy maintenance-like move over the dirt training track in New York. This Virginia-bred has now won 6 of 20 lifetime starts and has earned over $426,000 in purse earnings. Look for more out of this one this year.
- Gun Boat, a 2YO daughter of War Front and out of the Graded Stakes winning dam Onus for trainer Shug McGaughey, worked this morning in the “City So Nice, They Named It Twice.” Went 4 furlongs in :49.67, which was the 9th best time out of 27 to clock the distance over the Belmont Park main track. This one has raced just one time in the career, so far. Went 11/16-miles over the inner turf course and this one set all the early fractions before fading to 5th at the wire. Lost by about 3 lengths total in the inaugural run. Look for this one to be much more fit and ready to rumble next out for the HOF trainer. Worth chasing this one.
- Eclipsed, a 2YO daughter of Exaggerator and trained by J. Keith Desormeaux, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. This March foal ran 2nd in her career debut here on May 28. Finished behind Behave Virginia that day, while racing just 5.5 furlongs over the main dirt track . Got his 6th published work since being returned to serious training on Aug. 25. Went 4 furlongs in :48.80 — which was the 7th best time out of 15 to go that far. This one has a chance to be a good one. Stay tuned.
- Heaven Street, a 2YO son of Street Sense and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked in Louisville this morning, as well. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.60 — which was the 4th best time out of 6 to go that distance over the main dirt track. This one — who ran 3rd in the Soaring Free Stakes at Woodbine just two starts ago before winning an allowance over the hills and dales of KY Downs last time out, has a record of 2 wins and a third in the first 5. This one may try the grass at KEE next out. Look for this one.
- Overbore, a 2YO son of Speightstown and trained by Wesley Ward, worked at Keeneland on Tuesday morning. This one — who ran 3rd in the Skidmore Stakes at Saratoga in the last outing and won the Tremont Stakes at Belmont Park before that — went 4 furlongs over the main dirt track in a leisurely :50.20. That was the 9th best time out of 11 to go the distance. The current connections paid $275,000 for this one at the 2020 KEE September Yearling Sales. In 4 career starts now? Has a 1-1-2 mark. More to come.
- Olympiad, a 3YO son of Speightstown and trained by Bill Mott, may still turn out to be a world-wide talent. In just three starts so far in the career, this one has never missed the board and after a year layoff just ran a very nice 2nd in an allowance at Saratoga. Came back to work 5 furlongs over the dirt training track at Saratoga this morning for the HOF training operation. Went the distance in a deliberate 1:03.01. That was the 5th best time out of 6 to clock the distance. Connections paid a whopping $700,000 at the 2019 KEE September Yearling Sales for this one. Dam is Tokyo Time, who was Graded Stakes placed. Third dam is the great Chic Shirine, who won the G1 Ashland Stakes at KEE in 1987. Pedigree is there. When healthy, it looks like the ability is there, too. Keep the faith here. Still a chance to make this program work.