(Improbable working before this year’s KY Derby / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Green Destiny, a 2YO filly by Super Saver and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked at Churchill Downs this morning. The juvenile gal — who has won 2 in a row, including the TwinSpires.com Ellis Park Debutante Stakes in the last out — went 5 furlongs in 1:01.60 — which was the 6th best time out of 13 to clock the distance this a.m. Look for this one to show up in a major 2YO filly Stake at Churchill Downs soon. May be headed to the BC Juvenile Fillies, if all goes well.
- Eclair, a 2YO filly by Bernardini and trained by Team Baffert, worked at Del Mar this morning. The filly — who cost $420,000 to purchase at the Fast-Tipton Santa Anita Sale this Spring — ran 3rd in her last out at Del Mar on Aug. 24. She returned to work a half mile today in :48.20, which is the 5th fastest time out of 55 to go that far. Look for her to break her maiden soon.
- Improbable, one of the leading contenders for this year’s Triple Crown trail, worked this morning at Del Mar for Team Baffert, as well. The 3YO City Zip colt went a half mile in :48.40, which was the 9th best out of 33 timed at the distance. In his last outing, Improbable won the Shared Belief Stakes at Del Mar and is now 4-2-0 in 8 career starts now. Be interesting to see how the HOF trainer will prep this one for the Fall Classics now.
- McKinzie, the 4YO son of Street Sense and one of the leading contenders for this year’s Breeders’ Cup, worked at Del Mar this morning for trainer Bob Baffert. Went 5 furlongs in 1:00.40, which was the bullet move out of 14 to go the distance today. In 12 career starts, he has a record of 7 wins and 4 seconds. Won the G1 Whitney Stakes at Saratoga in the last out. Truly, one of our country’s best.
- Owlette, a 2YO Ontario-bred daughter of Frac Daddy and trained by Wesley Ward, worked this morning at Keeneland. Went a very nice half mile in :47.40, which was the 3rd best time out of 11 to get timed at the distance. In 3 career starts to date, this gal has 2 wins and a second — including a victory in the Shady Wells Stakes at Woodbine on July 27. Be interesting to see where she shows up next, but this one may be the best purchase of the 2018 KEE September Sale. She was logged as Hip # 3460 and was purchased by Ben McElroy, agent, for the modest sum of $7,500. She has already won over $113,000 and is a Stakes winner. Nice.
- Foolish Humor, a 2YO daughter of Distorted Humor and also trained by Wesley Ward, worked a half mile this morning at Keeneland, too. She went in :47.40, which was the same time as her roommate above. This one sold for $200,000 at the Fasig-Tipton July Sale in 2018, and has since run 3 times with 2 wins. Last time out, she won the Colleen Stakes at Monmouth Park on Aug. 4. Another good juvenile filly in this barn. Only time off the board came at Royal Ascot in June.