(Howling Time / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
We are back looking at the daily workout schedule from around the country. Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Brooke Marie, a 5YO daughter of Lemon Drop Kid and trained by Eddie Kenneally, has ripped off three straight wins now and was super impressive in the Pan Zareta Stakes in her last outing. She worked in New Orleans this morning going 4 furlongs in :50.60, which was the 21st best time out of the 31. Look for more out of this one soon.
- Giant Game, a 2YO son of Giant’s Causeway and trained by Dale Romans for the ownership team of West Point Thoroughbreds & the Albaugh Family Stables, worked at Gulfstream Park this morning. This impressive bay certainly looked like a winner when he made a huge, sweeping move in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile at Del Mar on Nov. 5 in his last start. Had to settle for 3rd that day behind the Bob Baffert-trained Corniche, who seemingly re-broke in the stretch and finished off the victory lap. But Giant’s Game has made giant strides in his training since, and he got his 2nd published work since being relocated to Gulfstream Park for the winter preps to the 2022 KY Derby. Went a quick 4 furlongs today in :47.72 — which was the 4th best time out of 21 to clock the distance. Look out for this one. Could be the real deal.
- Dennis’ Moment, a 4YO son of Tiznow and another trained by Romans, worked at Gulfstream Park this morning, as well. The colt — who just ran 3rd in the G3 Mr. Prospector Stakes here despite a tough trip and not making the lead — went a fast 5 furlongs in :59.89. That was the 3rd best time out of 12 to go that distance. Can this one capture the glory that many — including me — expected of him? We shall see. But things are looking up.
- Howling Time, a 2YO son of Not This Time and another from the Romans’ barn, worked this morning in sunny Florida, too. The March foal went 5 furlongs in 1:00.65, which was the 8th best time out of 12. After winning his first two career starts, this one ran 5th in the KY Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill Downs on Nov. 27. Set the pace that day in the 11/16-mile event and tired mightily at the end. Will be interesting to see the tactics of this one next time out.
- Unbridled Mary, a 2YO filly by Maclean’s Music and trained by John Sadler, is our next “Horse to Watch.” This one won on debut at Del Mar on Nov. 12. Came from well off the pace that day to hit the wire in front by a nose in the 5 furlong sprint over the sod. It was visually impressive — especially for a first time starter. Worked this morning at Santa Anita. Went 4 furlongs over the dirt training track in :48 flat. That was the 4th best time out of 22 to go that distance over the surface. Connections paid $155,000 for this gal at the Santa Anita 2YO sale earlier this year. Sold as a yearling for $39,000. On the improve.
- Country Grammer, a 4YO son of Tonalist and a multiple Graded Stakes winner for WinStar Farm, was recently returned to the embattled Bob Baffert at Santa Anita. Has not run since May 31, when he won the G1 Hollywood Gold Cup for his 3rd win in 8 career starts. Worked this morning over the dirt training track, going 5 furlongs in 1:01.20. That was the 4th best out of 11.
- Montebello, a 2YO son of Curlin and another trained by Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita, as well. This one — who won the debut and has since run 2nd in a couple of Stakes — went 5 furlongs in 1:01. That was the 2nd best time out of the 15. Be interesting to see what the plans for this one will be. So far, has zero points collected for the 2022 KY Derby.