(Silver Prospector / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Long Weekend, a 3YO son of Majesticperfection and trained by Tom Amoss, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds. The colt — who won impressively on debut and then was 6th in the G2 Saratoga Special last August — went a solid half mile in :49.80. That was the 16th best time out of 30, and 6th published work since returning to training in December. Long Weekend was scheduled to run this past weekend, but rains turned the track muddy and the colt into a spectator. Look for this one soon. Talented.
- Gold Street, a 3YO son of Street Boss and impressive gate-to-wire winner of the Smarty Jones Stakes at Oaklawn Park to begin the meet, worked in Hot Springs this morning for Team Asmussen. The colt — who has won 3 in a row now and all over messy track surfaces — went an ultra easy 4 furlongs in :51.20. That was 10th best of the 12. The big races are coming. Test time.
- Nucky, a 3YO son of Ghostzapper and trained by Peter Miller, ran 9th over the slop in the Smarty Jones. Before that, he was 7th in the Heft Stakes at Laurel Park and 8th in the G1 American Pharoah Stakes at Santa Anita. Whew. Spiral. But there is some talent here. On Sept. 2, 2019, he won the G1 Del Mar Futurity. Can he recapture that ability? Worked today, going 4 furlongs in :50.60. That was 8th best of the 12. Knowing these connections, they will not give up. Look for another shot.
- Shoplifted, winner of the Springboard Mile and 3rd in the Smarty Jones for Team Asmussen, worked this morning at Oaklawn, as well. The 3YO son of Into Mischief went a half mile in :50.20. That was 4th best. In 6 tries so far, has 2 wins, 1 second and 1 third. Should improve off the last start. No doubt.
- Silver Prospector, another KY Derby hopeful for the Steve Asmussen connections, worked in tandem with his teammate. Went in :50.20. This one captured the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club at Churchill Downs last November. Impressive in that one, to be sure. Was a rather dull 4th in the Smarty Jones. But the race probably didn’t set up for him at all. I look for huge improvement out of this one next time out and as the races get longer and more important. This one excites me.
- Whoa Nellie, a 4YO Orb filly trained by J. Larry Jones, captured the Pippin Stakes here on Jan. 25. That is 2 wins in a row for this filly — who has a 5-1-2 record in just 9 career starts. Worked for the first time since the Stakes win this morning in Hot Springs. Went 5 furlongs in an impressive :59.60. That was the bullet move out of 4 to clock the distance. Looks like she is on a roll right now.
- My Happy Girl, a 3YO filly by American Pharoah and trained by Bob Baffert, is one to watch. The filly has made only one career start to date, finishing 3rd on debut at Santa Anita on Feb. 1. Had lots of issues at the gate and leaving the starting point that day. Still lost by about 1 length as the odds-on favorite. Didn’t have any issues working today. Went a half mile in :47.40 this morning. That was the bullet time out of 10 to go that far. Watch out.