(Authentic trots home a winner in the G3 Sham Stakes last time out / Photo Courtesy of Santa Anita)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Aficionado, a 3YO son of Into Mischief and trained by Rodolphe Brisset, has not run since breaking the maiden last time out on Oct. 17 at Keeneland last Fall. Returned to serious training in mid-January and got his 5th published work this morning at Gulfstream Park. Went a nice half mile in a brisk :47.37. That was the bullet move out of 28 to stop the clock at the distance. In 3 starts so far, this on has a 3rd; a 2nd; and now a win. Be interesting to see what is next off the layup. Talent imbedded here.
- Abscond, a 3YO daughter of Blame and trained by Eddie Kenneally, was last seen running 3rd in the Ginger Brew Stakes at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 4. That was the filly’s first start since running 7th in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf. Has a G1 win under the girth, by virtue of winning the Natalma Stakes at Woodbine last September. Worked at the Palm Meadows Training Center this morning. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01 flat. That was the bullet move out of 7 to clock the distance. It was the 3rd published work since the last race, too. Looks primed. May be a handful next out.
- Hoffa’s Union, a 4YO son of Union Rags and trained by Peter Miller, worked at the San Luis Rey training center in Southern California this morning. This one ran 7th in the 2019 version of the Wood Memorial in the second career start. Has not raced since last July at Ellis Park. Was 6th that day. Got his 8th published work since Dec. 31 this morning. Went 7 furlongs in 1:27 flat. That was the bullet out of 2 works at the distance. This one has the 1 win in 5 lifetime starts, but has been highly-regarded since early on by the connections. Interesting to see where this one goes next.
- Authentic, a 3YO son of Into Mischief and one of Team Baffert’s many KY Derby contenders worked this morning at Santa Anita. The highly touted runner — who is a May 5 foal — worked 4 furlongs this morning at the “Great Race Place.” Went the distance in :47.60 — which was the 5th best time out of 52 to score the distance. This one is undefeated in 2 career starts and won the G3 Sham Stakes at Santa Anita on Jan. 4. This one may be the real deal. Really.
- Roadster, a 4YO son of Quality Road and trained by Team Bafferet, worked this morning at Santa Anita, as well. The colt — who ran 7th in the G2 San Pasqual Stakes at Santa Anita in his last start on Feb. 1 — went 4 furlongs in a brisk :47.20. That was the bullet move out of 52 to go that distance. In 10 career starts, this one has a 3-3-1 mark and did run 2nd to Omaha Beach in the G1 Malibu Stakes just two starts back. Look for more out of this one next time out.