(Silver Prospector winning the KY Jockey Club Stakes / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Ghost Fighter, a 3YO son of the grand sire Tapit and trained by Mark Casse for owner John Oxley, worked at Belmont Park this morning. The colt — who has a 2nd and a 4th in the first two career starts to date — went 4 furlongs over the dirt training track in :48.79. That was the 9th best time out of 40 to go the distance. It was the 6th published work for this one since returning to serious training in mid-December. This one is today’s “Horse to Watch.” The connections paid $500,000 for this one at the 2018 Fast-Tipton August Sale at Saratoga. Raced for the first time at Gulfstream Park last September. Ran 2nd to a horse named Wickster’s Dream. Came from nearly last to lose by only 11/2 lengths at the wire of the 5.5-furlong sprint. Impressive late move. The second outing came at Churchill Downs in October. Went 7 furlongs over the dirt in that one and ran 4th as the PT favorite. Made a mild bid in the stretch, but couldn’t maintain the momentum. Halo Again won that one and about 5 lengths in front of Ghost Fighter. This one looks ready for a race. Some times it takes the progeny of Tapit a race or two to figure things out. But when they do? They do. This one may do next out.
- Halama, a 3YO daughter of Pioneerof the Nile and trained by Brendan Walsh, worked at the Fair Grounds this morning. Went a half mile in a very nice :47.80 — which was the bullet move out of 29 to go the distance today. This one broke the maiden at first asking on Nov. 9 at Churchill Downs. Came back to run 4th in a nice allowance in New Orleans on Dec. 21. Won by an easy 2 lengths on debut when running 6 furlongs over the dirt. Was swamped out of the boat in the last effort when running two turns for the first time and over a sealed, sloppy track. Look for more the next time out — if this one can catch a dry track.
- Snapper Sinclair, a 5YO son of City Zip and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked at Oaklawn Park this morning. The multiple Graded Stakes placed winner went 4 furlongs in :50 flat, which was 4th best out of 5 to try the dirt track today. Last time out, this one ran a nice 2nd in the Fifth Season Stakes here on Jan. 25. That division of the Stakes was won by Guest Suite and inched out the win by just a neck at the wire. This guy ran a huge 4th in the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile last Fall, too. Look for a good year out of this one. Steady on both dirt and turf.
- Silver Prospector, a prime contender in this year’s race for the Triple Crown, worked at Oaklawn Park this morning, as well. The 3YO son of Declaration of War went 5 furlongs over the dirt track in 1:00.60. That was the bullet move out of 7 to go the distance. This guy finished the 2019 season with a real splash, winning the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill Downs. But 2020 didn’t start with a splash. More of a splash down. He ran a ho-hum, boring and not-so-impressive 4th to stablemate Gold Street in the Smarty Jones Stakes. Went just 1 mile over a muddy track that day. Both could be excuses as the roommate jumped to a quick lead and never looked back. But this one really need to step it up next time out — which could come in the Southwest Stakes here. I still give this one a shot. Especially with the Asmussen group in charge.
- Shoplifted, another top 3YO colt in the Asmussen barn, worked 5 furlongs in 1:01.60. That was the 3rd best time out of the 7. The son of Into Mischief ran 3rd in the Smarty Jones after winning the Springboard Mile at Remington Park to end the 2019 season. This one has credentials and aspirations, as well. Will be interesting to see the progress of both of these colts in the next outing. Stay tuned.
- Gold Street, upset winner of the Smarty Jones for Team Asmussen and now 3-for-3 over an “off track,” went the same 5 furlongs as the other two roommates today. Went the distance in 1:01.60. That was tied with Shoplifted. This sone of Street Boss has a ton of speed and knows how to use it. Will he be able to stretch it out? When he is hooked on the front end? Time will tell.