(Midnight Bisou / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Got Stormy, a 5YO daughter of Get Stormy and trained by Mark Casse, worked at the Casse Training Center in Central Florida on Tuesday. The mare — who has a 8-3-3 record in 18 career starts and is coming off a victory in the G1 Matriarch Stakes at Del Mar on Dec. 1 — breezed a very nice 5 furlongs over the dirt track in 1:02 flat. That was the best time out of 4 to go that far. It marked the second published move since returning to training after the last race, and the second in two weeks time. Looks like she is kicking it back up and gearing for another spectacular season of racing. Take every chance to watch this gal. She’s special.
- Basin, a 3YO by Liam’s Map and trained by Steve Asmussen, is working his way back to you, as well. The colt — who won two in a row last summer at Saratoga, including the G1 Hopeful Stakes — got his first published workout since last September this morning at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans. Breezed 4 furlongs in :52.40, which was the 35th best time out of 40 to go the distance. Will be fun to see this one back in action. One of the best 2YOs in the land before he was shelved last year. Here’s hoping that he can find that form once again and add to what could be a very deep and talented group of fine 3YOs.
- Comical, a 3YO daughter of Into Mischief and trained by Doug O’Neill, is now transplanted to the land of Mardi Gras and he worked at the Fair Grounds this morning, as well. This talented filly got her second published work of the New Year today, going a half mile in :50.40. That was 20th best. As a 2YO a year ago, she raced 6 times with 2 wins, a second and a third. Ran 2nd in the G1 Chandelier Stakes at Santa Anita after winning the G3 Schuylerville at Saratoga back in July. Finished the year with a 7th placing in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies. Could be redemption time in 2020. Don’t discount this group. Have a way of showing up on the big days.
- Magic Dance, a 3YO daughter of More Than Ready and also trained by Asmussen, worked this morning in New Orleans, as well. This gal — who won her first two career starts before running 3rd in the G2 Adirondack Stakes at Saratoga last August — went an easy half mile in :52.40. Same time as the colt listed above. First published work since that August run. Will be some time before race ready, but this one is super talented. And, the world awaits.
- Midnight Bisou, the great 5YO race mare and daughter of Midnight Lute, worked this morning for Asmussen in New Orleans. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.40. That was 6th best of 16 and it was her 4th published move since returning to serious training in December. The only blemish on this one’s record a year ago was the second place finish in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Distaff. Other than that? Seven races. Seven wins. Here’s hoping for more in 2019. She’s gifted.