(Manny Wah / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
We are back looking at the daily workout schedule from around the country. Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Manny Wah, a multiple Graded Stakes-placed winner of over $533,000 worked at the Fair Grounds on Tuesday. The 6YO son of Will Take Charge went 5 furlongs over the main dirt track in 1:01 flat. That was the bullet time out of two to negotiate the distance. Last time out, this fellow ran 2nd in an allowance event in New Orleans. Look for another turf sprint in this one’s future. Closer type has to have things cook on top, but he will come running.
- Illiogami, a 4YO daughter of Tapit and trained by George “Rusty” Arnold, worked at Palm Beach Downs training center in South Florida this morning. This one — who ran 5th to Zaajel and behind 3rd-place finisher Clairiere in the G2 Mother Goose Stakes on the Belmont Park dirt last June and then ran 5th to Technical Analysis in the G2 lake Placid Stakes on the Saratoga grass — breezed 5 furlongs this morning in 1:02.17. It was the 8th published work for this one since Jan. 31, and the gray filly should be about ready for the start of Keeneland in a couple of weeks. She broke her MSW there last April.
- Brocade, a 3YO daughter of Into Mischief and trained by the embattled Bob Baffert, worked at Santa Anita this morning. This gal — who sold for a whopping $750,000 by Ashview Farm to owner Sarah Kelly — went 4 furlongs in a pedestrian-like :50 flat. That was the 9th best time out of the 11 to go. So far, this filly has run 3 times with only one 2nd to show on the resume. That came last time out on March 11 at Santa Anita. Was beaten nearly 5 lengths in a 5-horse field by Micro Share, an Upstart filly trained by HOFer Richard Mandella.
- Micro Share, speaking of which, worked this morning at Santa Anita, too. The 3YO filly went 4 furlongs in :48.60 — which was the 2nd best time for the distance. In 3 career starts, she has a 1-1-1 mark on the books — including that impressive victory last time out. It will be interesting to see where Mandella points this one next. She is owned by MyRacehorse and Spendthrift Farm. They like to take chances.
- Ganadora, winner in her only start to date for Baffert, worked this morning at “The Great Race Place,” as well. This daughter of Quality Road — and out of the Ghostzapper mare Beloveda — went 5 furlongs over the main dirt track in 1:01.20. That was the 2nd best time out of 7 to go that distance. In her lone start, she won by nearly 7 lengths while racing 6.5 furlongs on the dirt. The dam of this lady went 13-6-1 in 29 career starts and was Graded Stakes-placed, as well. Did most of her running at old Calder racetrack in South Florida, but was 2nd in the 2012 version of the G3 Rampart Stakes. Looks like this one has the right ingredients to become a good one.