(By My Standards / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
We are back looking at the daily workout schedule from around the country. Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Rosebug, a 2YO daughter of American Pharoah and trained by HOFer Bill Mott, may be one for you to keep an eye on in the future. This one — a homebred for breeder/owner Mike Rutherford — ran 4th in the debut effort at Saratoga on Aug. 29. Came back to be a very nice 2nd as the odds-on favorite last time out at Belmont Park on Oct. 2. Was beaten by only a neck that day when coming from her stalking position. This one worked at Belmont today, going 4 furlongs in :48.62. That was the 5th best time out of 30 to breeze over the dirt training track. Look out for this one next time out. Could be happening.
- By My Standards, a multiple Graded Stakes winner for trainer W. Bret Calhoun, worked at Churchill Downs this morning. The 5YO son of Goldencents went 4 furlongs over the dirt track in :50.80. That was the 28th best time out of 31. This is a pure maintenance move after a brilliant work on Sept. 26. Went 5 furlongs in :59.20 that day, which was a bullet move. Last time out, this one was 5th in the G1 Whitney Stakes to the brilliant Knicks Go. “Standards” went to his nose at the start of that one and lost a shoe in the process. Lost all chance. Look for this one to pop next time out.
- Sermononthemount, a 3YO son of Tale of Ekati and trained by Tom Amoss, worked at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. This one — who was 4th in the Bourbon Trail Stakes at Churchill Downs on Sept. 25 after running 3rd in the Ellis Park Derby and 2nd in the G3 Indiana Derby — went 4 furlongs in :49.20. That was the 13th best time out of 31 to go the distance. This one may not be the best 3YO in the country, but he has talent and can make serious dents in Stakes this Fall. Look out here.
- Pass the Plate, a 4YO daughter of Temple City and trained by Paul McGee, has run in 8 straight Stakes events and has hit the board in 5 of them. Won the Pago Hop Stakes at the Fair Grounds last December and was third in the G3 Bewitch Stakes at Keeneland this April. Returned from a two-month layup to run 4th in the One Dreamer Stakes at KY Downs last time out. Worked this morning at Churchill Downs. Went 5 furlongs in 1:00.60 — which was the 2nd best time out of 19 to go that distance. Look out here. Could be on the edge of a good one. At a price, too.
- United, a 6YO gelded son of Giant’s Causeway and a true contender for this year’s Breeders’ Cup at Del Mar, worked at Santa Anita this morning for HOF trainer Richard Mandella. This multiple Graded Stakes winner — who is coming off a win in the G2 John Henry Turf Championship Stakes at “The Great Race Place” on Oct. 2 — went 4 furlongs over the dirt surface in :49.60. That was the 7th best time out of 15. This turf specialist has a record of 10-4-1 in 22 lifetime starts and has now amassed over $1.813 million in earnings. This one also won the G2 Eddie Read Stakes at Del mar in July, too. Looks good for the BC, to me.
- Moonlight d’Oro, a 3YO daughter of Medaglia d’Oro and also trained by Mandella, is coming off a wonderful victory in the g3 Las Virgenes Stakes at Santa Anita. But? But, that was in February. She has not raced since. In the first four starts, she has a 2-1-1 record and is a Graded Stakes winner. Yet? Yet, she has not raced since February. She got her 7th published work since being returned to serious training on Aug. 26. Went 6 furlongs today in 1:15 flat. That was the 2nd best time out of 3 to train the distance. Looks like this one is about ready to return soon. Yes. She is talented.
- Pinehurst, a 2YO son of Twirling Candy and trained by Bob Baffert, is a perfect 2-for-2 to begin the career and many think this one could / should contend for the BC Juvenile. Did win the G1 Runhappy Del Mar Futurity last time out. Worked at Santa Anita this morning. Went 6 furlongs in 1:14.40. That was the bullet move. The connections paid $385,000 for this one at the KEE September Yearling Sale a year ago. Looks like a bargain now. Next?