(Clocker’s Corner at Keeneland / Coady Photography)
(Trainer Tom Amoss / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
We are back looking at the daily workout schedule from around the country. Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Martini’nmoonshine, a 2YO son of Malibu Moon and trained by Tom Amoss, was no match for Tiz the Bomb in the G2 Castle & Key Bourbon Stakes at KEE on Oct. 10. Ran 11th in that talented and deep field. But don’t dismiss this one totally. Broke the MSW at Saratoga on Aug. 28, and this one looks to have a bright future. Worked 4 furlongs at Churchill Downs this morning. Went the distance in :48.40, which was the 7th best time out of 33 to go that far. Look for more out of this one soon.
- Guajira, a 2YO daughter of Gormley and trained by Wesley Ward, worked at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. This late March foal broke the maiden in the first ask, winning at Churchill Downs on May 7. Has not been out since then though, and is now working her way back to you. Today’s move was the 6th published exercise since being returned to serious training at Keeneland in September. Went 5 furlongs over the main dirt track today in a time of 1:01.60. That was the 12th best clocking out of 24 to go the distance. Looks about ready for the afternoon stuff now. Connections paid just $3,000 for this one. Not a bad purchase.
- Heels Up, a 3Yo daughter of Twirling Candy and trained by Bob Baffert, worked at Los Alamitos this morning. This one has raced only once since finishing 4th to Beautiful Gift in the G3 Santa Ysabel Stakes at Santa Anita in March. She was 3rd in the Angels Flight Stakes at “The Great Race Place” in May. Was returned to serious training on Sept. 26. This morning’s work was the 4th since being returned to the track. Went 4 furlongs in :48.80 today, which was the 4th best time out of 5 to clock the distance. Interesting to see this one at Los Al. Connections paid $350,000 for this one at the 2020 OBS-April Sale. Be interesting to track this one.
- Texas Shuffle, a 3YO daughter of War Front and trained by the youthful J. Reeve McGaughey, is coming off a win at Ellis Park in July and a very nice 2nd last time out at KY Downs when facing winners for the first time. This homebred went 4 furlongs this morning at Keeneland and clocked the distance in :49.80. That was the 19th best time out of 33 to go the distance. Look for more out of this well-bred gal. More to come.
- Chasing Time, a 2YO son of Not This Time and trained by Steve Asmussen, is one that bears watching. Ran 4th on debut at Churchill Downs in September. Was defeated that day by another son of Not This Time — Howling Time. This one is owned by MyRacehorse and was purchased for $250,000 at the OBS-April 2YO Sale this year. Worked 5 furlongs in 1:01.20. That was 9th best out of 24. Look for this one to pop soon.