(Rusty Arnold trains Wild Shot for Calumet Farm / Photo Courtesy of Keeneland)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Girls Know Best, a 4YO filly by Caleb’s Posse and trained by Eddie Kenneally, looked wonderful on the Churchill Downs’ main strip this morning. The filly — who ran 4th in the G3 Buffalo Trace Franklin County Stakes at Keeneland last time out and was beaten just over a length by the likes of Chanteline, Belvoir Bay and Morticia — went a brisk 3 furlongs over the dirt in :35.60. That was the third best time out of 9 to breeze that distance. Watch for this one to return soon.
- Cathedral Reader, a 3YO filly by Shackleford and trained by Dallas Stewart, won her last time out at Keeneland and now has posted a nice record of 2-1-1 in 5 career starts. The only time she missed the board was a 5th in the G2 Prioress Stakes at Saratoga this Summer. Today, the filly travelled an easy half mile in :49 flat. That was the 11th best time out of 57 to clock the distance. This one was purchased for $200,000 as a Keeneland September Yearling from the consignment of Darby Dan Farm.
- Wild Shot, a 4YO Trappe Shot colt trained by Rusty Arnold for Calumet Farm, has not run since finishing 9th in the G1 H. Allen Jerkens Stakes at Saratoga in 2017. He does have a huge win over the track at Churchill Downs on his resume, though, winning the G3 Pat Day Mile on KY Derby Day ’17. In 11 career starts, he has a 2-2-2 record and has earned over $330,000. Today, the colt worked at Churchill Downs, going 5 furlongs in 1:01 flat. That was the third best time out of 21 to go that far. It was 6th published work since coming back to Churchill Downs in early October. Could be ready soon.
- Pacific Wind, a 4YO Curlin filly trained by Chad Brown, just ran a nice third in the G1 Spinster Stakes at Keeneland. That effort ran her record to 4-1-3 in 12 lifetime starts and her career earnings over $420,000. Today, she worked at Belmont Park going a half mile in :48.56. That was 19th best out of 48.
- Significant Form, a 3YO Creative Cause filly and another trained by Chad Brown, worked at Belmont Park today, as well. This one, who ran fifth in the G2 Lake Placid and fourth in the G1 Belmont Oaks, went a half mile in :47.81 over the dirt track. That was the 6th best time out of 48. Should be ready for a return to action soon.
- Timber Ghost, a 3YO son of Ghostzapper and trained by James Jerkens, may be one to keep your eye on in the near future. In the last two starts, this one has sported back-to-back wins at Saratoga and Belmont Park. Today, his breeze was ultra impressive. He went 5 furlongs at Belmont Park in :58.89. That was the bullet move of the day. Watch out. Heads up. High alert.