Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working their best and ready for a key race. Here is a look at today’s top works:
- Faypien, a 4YO Ghostzapper filly trained by Bob Baffert, ran second in the G3 Intercontinental Stakes at Belmont Park in her last out, worked over the Belmont Park main track this morning in New York. She went an easy half mile in :48.20, which was the 4th best time out of the 12 to go the distance. In three starts this year, the filly has won the Harry Henson Stakes at Sunland; run fourth in the G2 Ruffian; and had the last out second. This one is a Graded Stakes winner, having won the G2 Summertime Oaks at Santa Anita last June. A good one, for sure.
- Finley’sluckycharm, a 5YO Twirling Candy mare trained by W. Bret Calhoun, is coming off a fourth place finish in the G1 Humana Distaff Stakes on KY Derby Day. But that was only the third time out of 16 starts that she hasn’t finished in the money. Before that race, which was contested in the sloppy conditions, she had won the G1 Madison Stakes at Keeneland and had run second in the listed Mardi Gras Stakes at the Fair Grounds. She worked at Churchill Downs this morning, going an easy half mile in :49.20, which was the 6th best time out of 27 to go that far. Watch out for this one, if she can catch a fast dirt track next time out.
- Sir Sahib, a 3YO Fort Larned colt trained by Ian Wilkes, finally broke his maiden in race #7 last time out when getting switched over to the turf for the first time. He worked this morning for the second time since the win and went 5 furlongs in 1:01.80 — which was 4th best out of 9. This one has a lot of upside potential and may win right back when he makes the gate again.
- Classy Tune, a 4YO filly by Maclean’s Music and trained by Simon Callaghan, has run in four straight Stakes events since winning back to back race at Del Mar last summer. The last run came in the G3 Desert Stormer, when she was a distant and non-threatening fourth to Bob Baffert’s talented runner Marley’s Freedom. Before that, though, she was second in an allowance and third in the listed Mizdirecton Stakes at Santa Anita. She worked this morning, going an easy half mile in :48.40, which was the 7th best time out of 38 to go that distance. Watch for this one return in style.
- Abel Tasman, a 4YO Quality Road filly who won the 2017 KY Oaks and most recently captured the G1 Ogden Phipps impressively for trainer Bob Baffert, worked at Santa Anita this morning. This one, who has won nearly $2.5 million in purses, went 5 furlongs in 1:00.40 — which was the second best time out of 30. We touted this one and came back from the betting windows happy, especially after the on-air talents dismissed here completely in the Phipps. Saratoga? Del Mar? This one can run. Period.