(Limousine Liberal winning the Bet on Sunshine Stakes at Churchill Downs / Coady Photography & Courtesy of Churchill Downs)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Whiskey Echo, a 2YO Tiznow colt trained by Steve Asmussen, worked at Churchill Downs on Tuesday morning. The colt — who won on debut at Belmont Park in June and then ran third in the G3 Sanford Stakes to Somebeyay and Strike Silver — went an easy half mile in :49.20. That was the 11th best time out of 31 to go that far. It was the first work for the colt in 10 days after he went 5 furlongs at Churchill Downs on Aug. 4. The interesting thing about this boy is that he was moved from Saratoga back to Kentucky after working a slow 3/8ths on July 16. Interesting.
- Contributing, a 4YO Medaglia d’Oro filly trained by Tom Proctor, worked this morning at his summer base at Fair Hill. The filly, who has not raced since running a disappointing 8th in the Mardi Gras Stakes at the Fair Grounds back in February, got her third published work since July 31 today when she went a nice half mile in :48.20 over the all weather training track. That was the second best time out of 13 to go that far. This one is Stakes place winner of 3 races in 10 career starts. Look for more.
- Limousine Liberal, a 6YO Successful Appeal gelding trained by Ben Colebrook, has had an outstanding 2018 campaign to date. He has raced 4 times, with 2 wins, 2 seconds and a third. All in Graded Stakes events. He ran last on July 7 at Belmont Park, winning the G2 Belmont Sprint Championship. Before that, he stretched out to run third in the Met Handicap. This one will certainly be trained towards the Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Churchill Downs — where he is dynamite. Today, he worked over at Keeneland. It was his second published work since July 28, and he went a very nice half mile in :47.40. That was the bullet move out of 21 to go the distance.
- American Anthem, a 4YO Bodemeister colt trained by Bob Baffert, worked at Del Mar this morning. The 3-time Graded Stakes winner is coming off a disappointing 6th in the G1 Bing Crosby Stakes at Del Mar on July 28. It was just the third time in 11 career races that he has not hit the board. Today, he was back on the track. But was he back on track? That is the huge question. In his second published work since the last race, he went 5 furlongs in 1:03.40. That was 7th of 8 to go the distance. Concerned?
- Shivermetimbers, a 3YO Shanghai Bobby colt trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, is coming off a nice, rebound win in an allowance at Del Mar on July 18. He worked this morning at the beautiful Southern California venue, going 5 furlongs in 1:01.20. That was the bullet time out of the first 8 to go the distance early today.
- Dr. Dorr, a 5YO Lookin At Lucky gelding trained by Baffert, is coming off a well-beaten second in the G2 San Diego Handicap to the up-and-coming, potential superstar in Catalina Cruiser for trainer John Sadler. He went 6 furlongs over the dirt track this morning in 1:14 flat. That was the bullet move out of the first two to go that far this morning.