(Trainer Steve Asmussen sent out both 2YO Sir Truebador and 3YO filly Midnight Bisou for works this morning / Photo Courtesy of Keeneland)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working their best and ready for a key race. Here is a look at today’s top works:
- Sir Truebador, a 2YO son of More Than Ready and out of the fine mare Kivi, got his final tune-up this morning for this coming Saturday’s G3 Bashford Manor Stakes at Churchill Downs. The Steve Asmussen-trainee went 3 furlongs in an easy :39.20, which was the 10th best time out of 11 to go the distance. This one won his MSW debut here on May 17, but was then shipped to New York to try the Tremont Stakes at Belmont Park. Ran fourth in that one after a troubled start. Look for better and more this Saturday. This one has gas.
- Curley’s Rocket, a 3YO colt by Into Mischief and trained by Al Stall, Jr., looked to be on a real roll this Spring when he broke the maiden and then captured the allowance in back-to-back starts at, first, Santa Anita, and then Oaklawn Park. But he stumbled home to a 9th place finish in the Chick Lang Stakes at Pimlico on Preakness Day when torrential rans turned the track into a mud slinging contest. He got his first published work since that race this morning at Churchill Downs when he breezed a half mile in :50.80. That was the 16th best time out of 23. Don’t dismiss this one just yet. He has ability.
- Midnight Bisou, a 3YO filly by Midnight Lute who is now in the barn of Steve Asmussen and being pointed to a Stakes event in New York, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. The filly — who won the G2 Santa Ynez, the G3 Santa Ysabel Stakes, and the G1 Santa Anita Derby before running third to Monomoy Girl in the KY Oaks — worked a half mile in :50 flat. That was the 8th best time out of 23 to go that far. Today’s move was the fifth published work for the new barn since the Oaks, and she is starting to tune it back up. Watch for a big one out of her soon.
- Minit to Stardom — one of the best Louisiana-breds of all time, already and trained by Stall — has run off to three straight wins in her first three career starts. And, she overwhelmed a crowd of nine others in an Open Allowance race at Churchill Downs on May 27 by over 6 lengths. Today, she got a breeze under the Twin Spires, going a half mile in :51.80 in a pure maintenance move. That was the 19th best time out of 23. Where will this one go next? Where ever it may be, take note.
- Seeking the Soul, a 5YO horse by Perfect Soul and trained by Dallas Stewart, is getting his running shoes back in order at Churchill Downs. This one captured the G1 Clark Handicap here last Fall before he was a distant fifth to the great Gun Runner in the G1 Pegasus World Cup. He hasn’t run since that date in January, but got his 6th published work since May this morning. He went 5 furlongs in a bullet time of 1:01.20. Getting stronger every day.