(Monomoy Girl after winning the KY Oaks / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working their best and ready for a key race. Here is a look at today’s top works:
- Somewhere, a talented 2YO filly by Quality Road and trained by Buff Bradley, put in a very impressive workout at Churchill Downs this morning. The filly, who ran fifth in her only start to date, rocked 3 furlongs in :35.60, which was the bullet move out of 28 to go that distance this morning. The filly was purchased for 260,000 at the 2017 Keeneland September Yearling Sale, and is one of many talented juveniles in the Bradley barn right now. She is entered to run at Churchill Downs on June 29. Watch out. And, you had better keep an eye on this barn’s activities down at Ellis Park in about two weeks. They may just light it up.
- Monomoy Girl, who just might be the newest version of Songbird in the world, worked this morning for trainer Brad Cox at Churchill Downs. In 8 career starts, this talented daughter of Tapizare has put up 7 wins and a second. And, she is on a current four-race win streak that includes impressive victories in the G2 Rachel Alexandra, the G1 Ashland Stakes, the G1 KY Oaks and the G1 Acorn Stakes — at four different racetracks. Wow. That is nothing short of Wow. She breezed an easy half mile in :49.40 today, which was the 28th best time out of 67 to go that far. If you get a chance, you should try to get out to see her at Churchill Downs in the morning. In many ways, she is this year’s female version of the great, Triple Crown winner Justify.
- Ezmosh, an Oklahoma-bred son of Tizway and trained by Brad Cox, is coming off an impressive win in the G3 Arlington Classic Stakes on May 26 at Arlington Park in Chicago. This one has put up two wins in a row for the Cox delegation, and was very impressive this morning at Churchill Downs, where he worked an easy-as-can-be half mile in :49 flat. That was the 16th best time out of 67, but he was held under tight restraint throughout the move, and looks spectacular. Bears watching.
- Girvin, winner of the G1 Haskell Invitational last year for trainer Joe Sharp, worked this morning at Churchill Downs, too. The son of Tale of Ekati went an easy half mile in :51.20. That was 57th out of 67 to go that far. In his first start of 2018, Girvin was second on the G3 Steve Sexton Mile to the super impressive Bee Jersey. Girvin, in all probability, likes a little bit farther distance, and should be sitting on go for his next start. Keep an eye out.
- Mia Mischief, a run-away winner of the G2 Eight Belles Stakes at Churchill Downs this KY Oaks Day, has not run since then for trainer Steve Asmussen. But the daughter of Into Mischief did train expertly this morning under the Twin Spires. She went 5 furlongs in an impressive :59.80 — which was the second best time out of 14 to go the distance. This one has talent. Lots of it.