(Dale Romans trains both Hollywood Star & Promises Fulfilled / Photo Courtesy of Churchill Downs)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Fascilitator, a 3YO son of The Factor trained by Steve Asmussen, has not been seen in the afternoons since he was a disappointing 7th in the Black Gold Stakes at the Fair Grounds on March 3. Before that, though, he had two seconds and two wins in the first four starts. Today, he got his first published work since the hiatus and went an easy half mile in 50 flat at Churchill Downs. That was 37th best of the 56 to go the distance. Can’t wait to see this guy back in action.
- Abel Tasman, the 2017 KY Oaks winner for Bob Baffert, worked at Del Mar this morning. She went an easy 5 furlongs in 1:01 flat. That was the 9th best time out of 75 to go the distance. She won the G1 Ogden Phipps Stakes at Belmont Park on June 9 in her last start, and in 13 career starts now, she has 7 wins, 4 seconds. Simply put. She’s great.
- Rayya, a 3YO Tiz Wonderful filly who ran second to the grand Mendelssohn in the UAE Derby and now has 2 wins and 3 seconds in 6 career starts, has not been seen in the afternoon since her 13th place finish in this year’s KY Oaks. But she got her 8th published work out since June 25 this morning at Del Mar, when she went 6 furlongs from the gate in 1:13.40. That was the second best time out of 10 to go the distance. She looks about ready for a return. Beware.
- Fluminense, a talented 2YO colt by More Than Ready and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked this morning at Saratoga. He went 3 furlongs in :38.43, which was the 11th best time out of 12 to go over the dirt training track. This one broke his maiden impressively at Churchill Downs on June 30. Watch for his return. A good one.
- Hollywood Star, a real talented 2YO colt by Malibu Moon a year ago, is working his way back to you for trainer Dale Romans. He ran third in an allowance race at The Spa on Aug. 6 in his first start since running 11th in the G3 Sunland Derby back in March. Today, he was back on the dirt track and breezed a half mile in a brilliant :46.43. That was the bullet move out of 68 to go the distance. He may be getting back in running shape now.
- Promises Fulfilled, another talented fast guy from the barn of Dale Romans, worked a half mile in :47.66. That was the 8th fastest time. Since being cut back to more sprint-like distances, this son of Shackleford has rediscovered his mojo. He ran a super third in the G2 Woody Stephens and then won the G3 Amersterdam at Saratoga on July 28. Watch for his next one. Could be his best yet.
- Elate, a brilliant filly by Medaglia d’Oro and trained by Bill Mott, worked this morning at Saratoga, as well. She went an easy half mile in :49.60, which was 39th of 66 to go that far. She is coming off an impressive win in the G2 Delaware Handicap in her only start of 2018. Look for her to show up here at The Spa soon. After all, she won the G1 Alabama here a year ago.