(Trainer Steve Asmussen will send She’s a Julie and Hence to Prairie Meadows this week / Photo Courtesy of Keeneland)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working their best and ready for a key race. Here is a look at today’s top works:
- She’s a Julie, a 3YO filly by Elusive Quality and trained by Steve Asmussen, tuned up for this week’s Iowa Oaks with a blowout 3 furlong work at Churchill Downs this morning. The filly covered the distance in :38.40, which was fourth of four to go that distance. The Iowa Oaks will be run on July 5 at Prairie Meadows. In her last out, She’s a Julie won an allowance event at Churchill Downs on June 3. Before that, she had run 6th to Monomoy Girl in the G2 Rachel Alexandra and 5th to Chocolate Martini in the G2 Fair Grounds Oaks. This will be another Stakes test for this one, owned by Whispering Oaks Farm and Mandy Pope.
- Hence, a 4YO son of Street Boss and a highly touted contestant in the 2017 Kentucky Derby for Asmussen, is another from his barn that will be making the trip to Prairie Meadows this week. He is entered in the Cornhusker Stakes on July 6. He tuned up with a half mile breeze this a.m. at Churchill Downs, going the distance in :50.20. So far this year, Hence has run just twice — with a fourth in an allowance at Oaklawn Park and then 7th in the G2 Alysheba Stakes to Backyard Heaven. He didn’t show much at all that day, after being bumped at the start, and running last at odds of 35-to-1. Let’s hope for better from this one. He won the Iowa Derby here a year ago.
- Mia Mischief, a 3YO daughter of Into Mischief and also trained by Asmussen, has not run in the afternoons since her impressive and commanding victory in the G2 Eight Belles Stakes at Churchill Downs on KY Oaks Day. That was her second win in a row, after taking the Purple Martin Stakes at Oaklawn back in March. She got her fifth published work this morning since the last race at Churchill Downs this morning, going a half mile in :49.20. That was 9th of 27. Look for more from her soon.
- Marine Layer, a 2YO filly by Into Mischief and trained by Tom Proctor, worked this morning at Fair Hill training center. She went 3 furlongs in :36.40 over the dirt track there in preparation for her next start at Delaware Park on July 4. She has started just once, running second at Delaware on June 6 and beaten 11/4 lengths by Hay Dilly — who ran in the Debutante Stakes at Churchill Downs this last Saturday. Watch for this one. She is on our “Horse to Watch List.” May be ready to pop this time. She was bet down to odds-on in the first out.
- Creative Thinking, a 4YO daughter of Creative Cause and owned by Brereton C. Jones, worked this morning at Fair Hill for Proctor, as well. This one has won two in a row since arriving in Kentucky from the Fair Grounds. She won an allowance at Keeneland in April, and followed that up with a win in the Keertana Stakes at Churchill Downs. She went 5 furlongs over the all-weather surface at Fair Hill this morning in 1:01.40. That was the 4th best time out of 5 to go.
- Rally Cry, a 5YO son of Uncle Mo and trained by Todd Pletcher for owner Paul Pompa, has not raced since running 6th in the G1 Jockey Club Gold Cup at Belmont Park last October, but this one has demonstrated some serious run in the past. He was second in the G1 Woodward Stakes at Saratoga last September, and may be ready to return to his favorite locale soon. He tuned up at The Spa this morning for Team Pletcher by going a half mile in :48.88. that was the 9th best time out of 42 to go the distance. This was the sixth published work for the horse since returning to serious training on May 19. Look for a return to racing soon.