(Chad Brown trains Analyze It / Photo Courtesy of Keeneland)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Soglio, a 4YO gelded son of Scat Daddy and trained by Mike Maker, worked at the Churchill Downs’ Training Center on Sunday morning. The gelding went 5 furlongs in 1:01.60, which was the 6th fastest time out of 12 to cover the distance today. He was impressive in doing so, though. This guy has 2 wins and 3 thirds in 7 starts this year, and ran third in the G3 Stars & Stripes Stakes at Arlington Park back in July. Watch for him to hit the starting gate again soon.
- Battle of Midway, a 4YO son of Smart Strike, returned to the races after a try in the breeding shed this Winter and Spring. He ran second to the ultra-impressive Catalina Cruiser in the G2 Pat O’Brien Stakes at Del Mar on Aug. 25. Today, Battle of Midway — beaten a little over 7 lengths in that return effort — resumed training, and breezed a nice half mile in :48.20. That was the 2nd fastest time out of the 48 to go the distance. In 11 career starts now, he has a record of 5-3-2 and earnings over $1.289 million. Obviously, his biggest achievement to date was his win in the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile at Del Mar last November. Can he make it back? We shall see.
- Dueling, a 2YO son of Violence and also trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, has made two starts so far in his career, and has two seconds to show for his efforts. In the debut effort, he ran second to his roommate — Rowayton — in a MSW event at Del Mar. The latter is now expected to take on Roadster in the Del Mar Futurity on Monday. Dueling worked this morning, going a half mile in a nice :48.40. That was the fifth best time.
- Core Beliefs, a 3YO Quality Road colt, worked this morning at Del Mar, as well. He went 5/8ths in 1:01.60. That was the 8th best time out of 20 to go that far. This one is coming off a fourth place finish to Good Magic in the G1 Haskell Invitational. Before that, though, he won the G3 Ohio Derby and was second in the G3 Peter Pan. Worth keeping an eye on this guy. May get better with time, like Battle of Midway.
- Analyze It, a 3YO son of Point of Entry and trained by Chad Brown, worked this morning at Saratoga. He went an easy half mile in :49.88 — which was the 29th best time out of 53 to go that far today. That was over the main dirt track, too. In 6 career starts, this one has 3 wins and 3 seconds. The last two races were both tough-beat, head-bob seconds to Travers’ winner Catholic Boy. Doesn’t look too bad now, though, does it?