Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- C.Z. Rocket, a brilliantly fast 4YO son of City Zip and trained by Al Stall, Jr., has strung together an impressive record to date. Over the first 7 races, he has 4 wins and 1 third. In his last start, he ran 4th in the G1 Forego Stakes at Saratoga on Aug. 25. Before that, though, he won the Kelly’s Landing Stakes at Churchill Downs. Today, he worked a half mile in a nice :47.20. That was the bullet move of 37 to go the distance today. Look for this one to run soon under the Twin Spires.
- Shanghai Rain, a 2YO filly by Shanghai Bobby and trained by W. Bret Calhoun, is coming off a 4th place finish in the Ellis Park Debutante on Aug. 19. Previously, she won a MSW event and was second in the Debutante Stakes at Churchill Downs. She worked a half-mile this morning in :50.60, which was the 27th best time out of 37.
- Shang Shang Shang, a 2YO filly by Shanghai Bobby who has jumped to an impressive 2-for-2 start for trainer Wesley Ward, worked at Keeneland on Wednesday. The filly — who broke her maiden at Keeneland in April and then went to Royal Ascot and won again in June — went an easy half mile in Lexington, going the distance in a time of :51 flat. That was 12th of 13. This is a good one, and is worth watching.
- Super Sol, a 3YO son of Awesome Again and trained by Bob Baffert, is entered to run at Santa Anita this weekend. He blew out 3 furlongs this morning in an impressive :35.80. That was the bullet move out of 9 to go that far on Wednesday. He runs on Saturday and bears watching.
- Game Winner, a 2YO Candy Ride colt who blew the doors off his highly acclaimed roommate Roadster in the Del Mar Futurity in the last matchup, was back on the training track at Santa Anita on Wednesday, as well. The Baffert-trainee — who is a perfect 2-for-2 now — went a nice half-mile in :47.80. That was the second best time out of 41 to go that far. Nice.