(Monomoy Girl winning the 2018 KY Oaks / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
(Monomoy Girl waits to enter the starting gate for this year’s KY Oaks / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Devine Mischief, a 3Yo filly by Into Mischief and trained by Joe Sharp, worked over a sloppy main track at Churchill Downs this morning. The filly — who has 3 wins and 2 seconds in just 6 lifetime starts to date and is coming off a nice allowance win in her last start — went an impressive half mile in :47.40 — which was the bullet move of the day at the distance. This one is already Stakes placed, what with a second in the Jersey Girl Stakes at Belmont Park in June. Should be sitting on go.
- Tiz Mischief, another one by Into Mischief and trained by Dale Romans, has not run since finishing second in the G3 Matt Winn Stakes at Churchill Downs in mid-June. This one has only 1 win in 9 career starts, but has 3 seconds and a third. But one of the seconds came in the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill Downs last November and the third came in the G2 Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream Park in February. Talent obvious. He got his first published work since the last race today, though, and turned in a nice half mile in :48.60 — which was the 5th fastest time out of the 27 to go. Looking forward to this one’s return for owner Frank Jones.
- Dak Attack, another multi-talented colt from the barn of Dale Romans, is working his way back to you, as well. The 3YO son of Ghostzapper, who has 2 wins in 3 career starts, has not raced since finishing third in the Mucho Macho Man Stakes at Gulfstream Park in early January. But he got his 7th published work since July 28 today, going 5 furlongs over the sloppy surface in 1:02.20. That was 24th of 33 to make the distance. Keep an eye on this one. He’s good.
- Kowboy Karma, a 3YO Kodiak Kowboy gelding trained by J. Larry Jones, is coming off two straight seconds — including a nice one behind stablemate Believe in Royalty in the Ellis Park Derby on Aug. 12. The one worked 5 furlongs at this morning under the Twin Spires, as well, getting the distance in a time of 1:02.60. that was 25th of 33.
- Monomoy Girl, the brilliant and dazzling 3YO filly by Tapizar who has amassed an amazing 8 wins and 1 second in her 9-race career, tuned up this morning at Churchill Downs, too. She went 5 furlongs the only way she knows how to go anywhere — fast and furious. She covered the distance in 1:00.40. That was the bullet move of the 33. This gal is special. Simply put. Not since I got the chance to watch, cover, report on Personal Ensign have I seen one this special and rare. Don’t miss a chance to see her in person, if you can. She is “Justify Special” in many ways.
- Mr. Freeze, a 3YO To Honor and Serve colt trained by Romans, has put up an impressive resume so far, as well. In 4 lifetime starts, he has 3 wins and a second. He is coming off a nice win in the G3 West Virginia Derby at Mountaineer in his last start on Aug. 4. Mr. Freeze worked this morning at Churchill Downs, going 5 furlongs in 1:00.60. That was 4th of 33. Be fun to see his next out.