(Tom’s d’Etat at Churchill Downs / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Cool Beans, a 4YO filly by Candy Ride and trained by Brad Cox, worked at Churchill Downs this morning. Went a nice half mile in :47.80. That was the 7th best time out of 72 to clock the distance this a.m. This filly just won an allowance event at Ellis Park on June 30. Before that, she was 3rd in the G3 Pin Oak Valley View at Keeneland; 3rd in the G2 Mrs. Revere Stakes at Churchill Downs; and 2nd in the Pago Hop Stakes at the Fair Grounds. The June race was her first out this year. Looked good doing it, too. More to come.
- Explorer, a 4YO son of Orb and also trained by Cox, won in his first start for the new barn, after being transferred from trainer Bob Baffert. That win came against allowance company at Churchill Downs on June 23. In 5 career starts to date, this speedball has 2 wins and 3 seconds. Worked an even half mile in :48.80 this morning at Churchill Downs. That was the 22nd fastest time. Look for this one to get better and better. Has the turn of foot.
- Josie, a 2YO Race Day filly trained by Cox, has jumped out of the starting gate(s) fast so far. In two starts to date, she has a second and a win in her last outing — on June 27 at Churchill Downs. She worked this morning very impressively, going a half mile in :47.80. That was 7th best. Sizzle time.
- Plus Que Parfait, winner of the UAE Derby before running 8th in the KY Derby and, most recently, 6th in the G1 Belmont Derby, worked at Churchill Downs this morn for trainer Brendan Walsh. The Point of Entry colt went an easy half mile in :49.60, which was 39th best of the 72. May be time to get this one a confidence builder, closer to home. Just saying.
- Vomba, a 3YO Candy Ride filly, may be worth watching for in the future. After running 4th on debut last Fall at Keeneland, she turned in a couple of 3rd place finishes. Last time out, though? Impressive winner at Churchill Downs on May 26. Got her 5th published work since that victory this morning for trainer Al Stall, Jr. Went a half mile in :48.40. That was 17th of 72. Keep an eye out.
- Tom’s d’Etat, a 6YO Smart Strike horse, worked for Stall at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. Went 5 furlongs in 1:00.60 — which was 3rd best of 37 to go that far. This guy has a tidy record of 6-2-1 in 12 starts and has earned over $661,000 to date. Ran a game third in the G2 Stephen Foster last time out, and that came on the heels of a second in the G2 Alysheba — to McKinzie. This guy has all the talent. Could land a huge one soon.
- Covfefe, the highly-talented 3YO daughter of Into Mischief, returned to the track this morning for trainer Brad Cox. Breezed 6 furlongs at Churchill Downs in a nice 1:11.20. That was the only time of the day at the distance. This gal has 3 wins in 5 lifetime starts, and is coming off a third to Mia Mischief in the Roxelana Stakes at Churchill Downs on June 22. No shame there. Facing older ones for the first time. Wait till she gets back with the 3YOs. Will be a tough out.