(Street Band before the 2019 KY Oaks / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Share the Upside, a 5YO gelded son of Maclean’s Music and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked at Oaklawn Park on Monday morning. The winner of the King Cotton Stakes here on Feb. 8 went 3 furlongs in :37.80 in a pure maintenance move. That was the 4th best time out of 8 to go the distance. In 14 lifetime starts to date, this one has a record of 5-4-1 and looks to be ready for the next outing soon.
- Meadow Dance, a 3YO filly by Jimmy Creed and a multiple Graded Stakes placed winner of 4 races in 9 starts, worked this morning at Oaklawn Park for trainer Brad Cox. This gal — who has never missed the board in those 9 starts and has 4 seconds and 3 thirds on the resume — went a half mile in :48.40. That was the 5th best time out of 16. Last time out, Meadow Dance ran 2nd to Lady’s Island in the Sugar Swirl Stakes at Gulfstream Park in December. Today’s move was the 5th published work since she was returned to serious training in March. More to come here.
- Ragtime Blues, a 3YO son of Union Rags and trained by Bob Baffert, worked at Oaklawn Park this morning, as well. The colt has only raced once in the career, finishing 2nd in a MSW event at Los Alamitos last September as the odds-on favorite. Went a very nice half mile this morning in :48 flat. ?That was the 3rd best time out of 16. Look out for this one. Word is out.
- Shared Sense, a 3YO son of Street Sense and another talented pupil of the Cox team, worked in Hot Springs this morning. Went 4 furlongs in :49 flat. That was the 12th best time out of 16 to go the distance. Has won two of the last three outings and was impressive in the last outing at OP. Came from way back to get up at the wire by a nose, beating the PT favorite. Look for more out of this one as the distances get longer. More to come.
- Wells Bayou, winner of the G2 Louisiana Derby in his last out for Team Cox, worked at Oaklawn Park, too. The 3YO son of Lookin at Lucky went 4 furlongs in :48.40 in a pure maintenance move. No decision has been made on what race to do next. In our chat with Brad Cox last week, he is not fully committed to running in the G1 Arkansas Derby just yet. Decision time will come soon, but the key for this one is now the first Saturday in September. KY Derby Day. Stay tuned.
- Comical, a 3YO daughter of Into Mischief and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked in Hot Springs today. Went 5 furlongs in 1:00.80. That was the 6th best time out of 7 to clock the distance. This gal ran 2nd in an allowance at Oaklawn on March 28 in the last outing. Before that, she was 4th in the Suncoast Stakes at Tampa Bay to start the 2020 campaign. Won the G3 Schuylerville Stakes at Saratoga last July. Talent laden.
- Street Band, a world class 4YO daughter of Istan and trained by J. Larry Jones, worked this morning in prep for Arkansas Derby Day card. The brilliant multiple Graded Stakes winner breezed 5 furlongs in a sparkling :59 flat. That was the bullet move out of 7 to go the distance. Last time out, she ran 4th behind Serengeti Empress in the G2 Azeri Stakes at the Fair Grounds. More in the tank here, though. Next out will be the third start off a layup. Take note.
- Echo Town, a 3YO son of Speightstown and another trained by Team Asmussen, worked this morning in Arkansas. This is our latest addition to our “Horses to Watch List.” The February foal has 2 wins in the first 3 career starts — all this year — and is coming off a win here on March 13. Ran off to win by nearly 4 lengths that day in a 6-furlong test. Don’t know yet how far this one will go, but he has speed. Went 5 furlongs in :59 flat today. Impressive. Take note.